The Tropical Forest Research Institute, Jabalpur is one of the nine regional institutes under the Indian Council of Forestry Research & Education. The Institute came into existence in April 1988, although its origin goes back to 1973 when a Regional Centre of FRI, Dehradun was established at Jabalpur to provide research support to the problems of forest management in central India. The institute has not only steadily advanced in terms of infrastructure but also specialized itself as a major nucleus for research on forestry and ecology related problems of tropical forests of the central region comprising of the states of Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Maharashtra . The institute is headed by Director and has a staff strength of 130 including 19 scientists and 42 officers.
Campus of the Institute is situated 10 km south east of Jabalpur on NH -12A. The campus is spread over an area of 109 ha amidst picturesque surroundings. The area enjoys semi-arid type of climate with mean annual precipitation of 1358 mm. The campus of the Institute is fully developed with facilities like office cum laboratory building, library and information building, bio-technology lab, residential complex, bank, post-office, dispensary, shopping complex, central school, community hall, canteen, motor vehicle workshop, scholars' transit hostel, scientists' hostel, sports ground and rest house.
- Eco-restoration of Vindhyan, Satpura and Maikal hills and Western Ghats
- Rehabilitation of mined areas
- Research and demonstration in agroforestry models
- Research in forest protection
- Identification of seed production areas and plus trees, establishment of seed orchards; and production of quality planting material of selected species for improving forest productivity
- Provenance trials of teak, bamboo, neem, sissoo, safed siris etc.
- Research on biofertilizers and biopesticides
Tropical Forest Research Institute
P.O.: R.F.R.C., Mandla Road,
Jabalpur (M.P.) - 482 021
Contact Phone Numbers:
Director: +91-761- 2840010(O) ,
Head of Office: +91-761- 2840799
Under Secretary: +91-761-2840010
FAX: +91-761-2840484 and +91-761-2840040
E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org