Name : Dr. Fatima Shirin
Designation : Scientist "F" & Head, Genetics and Tree Improvement Division
Qualification : M. Sc., Ph.D.
Experience: 14 years
Subject Area : Tissue Culture of Forestry Species, micropropagation of bamboos, forest trees and medicinal plants
PAPERS PUBLISHED IN JOURNALS
- Shirin, F, Kumar S. and Mishra Y. 2000. In vitro plantlet production system for Kaempferia galanga, a rare Indian medicinal herb. Plant Cell Tissue Organ Culture 63: 193-197.
- Shirin, F, Rana P.K. and Mandal A.K. 2005. In vitro clonal propagation of mature Tectona grandis through axillary bud proliferation. Journal of Forest Research 10: 465-469.
- Shirin, F, Arya S. and Arya I.D. 2005. Micropropagation of Bambusa vulgaris through enhanced axillary branching from nodal segments of field grown culms. Journal of Plant Biology 32: 33-38.
- Shirin, F and Maravi, S. 2006. In vitro clonal propagation of Crataeva nurvala, an important medicinal tree through enhanced axillary branching. Journal of Herbs, Spices and Medicinal Plants 12: 165-174.
- Shirin, F and Rana P.K. 2007. In vitro plantlet regeneration from nodal explants of field grown culms in Bambusa glaucescens Willd. Plant Biotechnology Reports 1: 141-147.
- Shirin, F and Arya S. 2003. Comparison of different nutrient media for in vitro shoot multiplication and rhizogenesis in Bambusa nana Roxb. MyForest 39: 53-59.
- Shirin, F, Arya S. and Arya I.D. 2003. Effect of nutrient media on in vitro shoot multiplication and rhizogenesis in Bambusa vulgaris Schard ex Wendl. Indian Journal of Tropical Biodiversity 11: 57-62.
- Shirin, F and Sarkar A.K. 2003. Removal of phenolic exudates from explants of Tectona grandis. Teaknet 30: 4-6.
- Shirin, F, Sarkar A.K., Ansari S. A. and Mandal A. K. 2002. Standardization of sterilizing treatment for in vitro propagation of half-sib families of teak. Teaknet 26: 1-3.
- Shirin, F, Kumar D. and Pederick L. 1998. Variation in wood specific gravity of Pinus radiata in Victoria, Australia. Indian Forester 124: 150-157.
- Shirin, F, Sharma R. and Mandal A.K. 1996. Genetic testing in tree improvement programme. Tropical Slvics 4: No. 1.
- Kumar, P, Ansari S.A. and Shirin F. 1995. Effect of leaf /soil applied IAA with kinetin or thiamine on shoot growth of Albizia lebbek. Ann.For. 4: 195-199.
- Arya, I.D., Rana P.K., Satstangi R., Muzaffar S., Shirin F., Sharma S. and Arya S. 2002. Rapid and mass multiplication of bamboos through tissue culture techniques. In: Role of plant tissue culture in biodiversity conservation and economic development (Eds. Nandi,S.K., Palni, L.M.S. and Kumar, A.), pp 29-39. Gyanodaya Prakashan, Nainital, India.
- Shirin, F, Mishra Y., Yadav S., Patel P. and Ansari S.A. 2008. Effect of various culture conditions on in vitro shoot multiplication in Bambusa nutans Wall and Bambusa tulda Roxb. In: Forest Biotechnology in India (Eds. Ansari, S.A., Narayanan, C. and Mandal, A.K. ), pp. 177-185. Satish Serial Publishing House, Delhi.
PAPER PRESENTED IN CONFERENCE
- Shirin, F. attended National Symposium on Research Trends in thrust Areas of biological Sciences held at Government Model science College, Jabalpur, M.P. from 28-29 April 2003 and presented a paper entitled In vitro clonal propagation of some important medicinal plants.
- Shirin, F. attended XIX M.P. Young Scientist Congress held at Dr. Hari Singh Gour University, Sagar from 12- 13 April 2004 and presented a paper entitled Propagation of Bambusa vulgaris Schard ex Wendl through tissue culture technique.
- Shirin, F. attended National Symposium on Plant Biotechnology: New Frontiers held at CIMAP, Lucknow from 18-20 Nov 2005 and presented a poster entitled In vitro propagation of Bambusa nutans Wall., using nodal explants from mature culm.
- Shirin, F. attended National Conference on Tree Biotechnology: Indian Scenario held at TFRI, Jabalpur from 9-10 Feb, 2006 and presented a research paper entitled "Efficient in vitro plantlet production of Bambusa nutans Wall. and Bambusa tulda Roxb. Shirin, F. attended National Conference on Increasing Forest Productivity: Genetics and Breeding Options held at TFRI, Jabalpur from 21-23 Feb, 2007 and presented a research paper entitledMicropropagation of Bambusa nutans Wall.
- Shirin, F. attended National Conference on Biotechnology for the 21st Century : New Horizons being held at St. Aloysius College, Jabalpur from 18-19 December, 2009 and presented a paper entitled In vitro propagation of Saraca indica L., a commercially important vulnerable medicinal tree.
- Final report of project entitled "Developing tissue culture protocols for forestry species : Micropropagation of Bambusa vulgaris and Kaempferia galanga"
- Final report of project entitled "Developing tissue culture protocols for forestry species (a) Tectona grandis (Teak).